The Albacore Recipe
Even though they are a close relative to the amazingly tasty Yellowfin Tuna, Albacore have long been diregarded as a fish that is better suited for bait than for the table. After years of trial and error, often ending with a group of folks that refused to participate in another tasting, we have discovered an Albacore recipe that is truely the one and only Albacore recipe you will ever need.
- 2 Albacore Fillets
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh-ground black pepper
- 4 TBSP butter, at room temperature
- 2 Lemons
- 2 Limes
1) Prepare the filets so that the skin remains on one side.
2) Place the Albacore fillets skin side down on a 8 inch wide piece of hickory that is about 1 inch think. If your local lumber yard doesn't stock hickory, oak will also do just fine. Make sure to wash the board carefully.
3) Rub the top of the fillets with the butter, then sprinkle the salt and pepper on top.
4) Slice the lemons and limes about 1/4 inch thick and place all the slices, alternating between lemon and lime, on top of the fillets.
5) Place the board with the filets on top directly onto the surface of your grill and set the grill to its lowest setting. Grill for about 1 hour or until the fish flakes easily.
6) Remove the board with the fillets from the grill carefully as the board will be charred and very hot.
7) Remove the Albacore fillets from the board and discard. Saw the board into 1 inch by 1 inch cubes and serve with tabasco.